Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Driver Rights

Your rights as a driver are not based on the rights you have as an American and protected by the Constitution. No, your rights as a driver are based on the 'right of way' as defined by the rules of the road.  See my other post on 'Slower Traffic Keep Right'

This post isn't so much about right of way, but more of what I'll call Right To Occupy.  It's about one's ability to occupy a specific segment of asphalt at any given time.  It's the question of why should one driver be allowed to occupy a space over another?

Vehicle selection is a big one. I choose my vehicles with extra performance. Performance generally means you have to sacrifice things like, practicality, cargo and passenger space, ride comfort, etc. Now of course, there are some vehicles like the Porsche Cayenne that bridge the gap, but this is beyond the price range of most people.

I can choose to be impractical because I don't have kids. I don't have to haul people around. I don't have to haul cargo. My car is fast and nimble. Therefore, I can do things with my car that soccer mom cannot do in her Suburban. That's just how it is.  My personal slogan is, "Because I can..." and it is based on this very premise.  Because I have extra horsepower and handling, I can assertively put slower traffic behind me, using maneuvers that may leave other drivers asking, why did he do that?  Because I can...

It is also true, that when it comes to right to occupy, I have more "rights" than soccer mom in her Suburban because I can position myself anywhere on the road quicker. It's all based on individual choices. Soccer mom chose to have kids, so a Suburban it is. Sorry soccer mom. See you in the fast lane (for a moment).

No comments: