Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Turn Signals

So I pose the question, do you need to use your turn signal in a left turn only lane? Aside from how annoying it is to set there with the blinker clicking away, it's obvious and redundant.  It would surprise me, but could the law really require such stupidity? I had to know so I looked up the California Vehicle Code on the subject.

Division 11 Section 22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

Wow, there it is! You must signal 'in the event any other vehicle may be affected'. So even under the law you don't have to signal in the left turn only because no one should be affected by your left turn.

I once got a warning because I did not signal a turn coming out of our housing area. There is a light there, only one lane in each direction, and a parking lot on the opposite site. I wish I had known this law because I would have told the officer that I didn't need to signal. If right of way is signal controlled (meaning I have a green light), there is only one lane (meaning cars can only be behind me and must wait until I commit to a right or left turn before they can make a right or left turn), and no oncoming traffic, how could my turning left (or right) possibly have any affect on any other vehicle on the face of the planet?

What's nice about this particular wording of the law is that it should place the burden of proof on the citing officer to show that your movement did affect another vehicle. Webster's dictionary defines affect as, to produce an effect upon; especially : to produce a material influence upon or alteration in. In driving terms 'to produce a material influence upon or alteration in', would mean another vehicle would need to change speed or course because of the movement you made. With that in mind, it is rare that you would be required to signal.

That's not to say I don't.  There is also a matter of courtesy, but for the most part, I try to go where I need to go, and do what I need to do, without making anyone else need to change speed or course because of me.

See you in the fast lane (I may signal my entry...)

No comments: